Adilas.biz Developer's Notebook Report - All to All - (13141)
|Time Id||Color||Title/Caption||Start Date||Notes|
|Shop 10656||Meeting with Hamid||11/30/2023||
My assignment - Get a small form together to help Hamid with some ColdFusion learning. The topic is a pizza ordering form - just for training purposes.
|Shop 10687||Emails and Recording Notes||11/30/2023||
Emails and recording notes for yesterday (11/29/23).
|Shop 10686||Meeting with Eric||11/29/2023||
Working with Eric to get everything ready to merge into our main repository. This is just a part of the branch (piece of a project) that will get entered into the master code branch. We are trying to deploy this bigger branch by breaking it up into pieces. We spent our time going over pages, code review, and going page by page, looking at things. I thought that we did a pretty good job! Merged the branch into master.
After I got done with Eric, I did some code review for Will on a new change that we talked about earlier today. We ended up moving a remote API socket function out of an older file and put it on its own. That solved the problem.
|Shop 10685||Meeting with Dustin and Will||11/29/2023||
Quick meeting with Bryan to fix an error. It was the same error that Dustin was having. We made a quick fix and I told him that I would get back with him on the resolution.
Jumped on a meeting with both Dustin and Will. They had not met so we did some quick introductions. We then talked about a new method/function that was introduced and was causing some issues. We pitched some ideas and Will is going to make a few changes. We ended up getting into some deeper underlying code stuff. We think we have a plan, and we will get it all figured out.
|Shop 10684||tip pages||11/29/2023||
Work session with Eric. We were going over his new changes on his tip integration project. We did some light debugging. Added some better error handling on the database update script and talked about next steps. We planned a meeting for later today to push the next steps. That gave Eric some time to make a few new changes and check some things off of the to do list.
|Shop 10681||Meeting with Dustin||11/29/2023||
I got a text from Dustin saying that he was on another meeting with a client. So, I did some emails and then switched over to the bulk clear customer loyalty points project. I'm working on creating forms for both the classic theme and the snow owl theme (look and feel stuff). After a bit, I got a text from Dustin and we jumped on a Zoom meeting. We are trying to fix an error that got introduced by another developer. We decided to setup a meeting with the other developer and pitch some ideas.
Merging in code for Will for a custom website project on data 16. Including some new ecommerce files and settings. Working with Dustin on some custom error messages. Looking into a small error message on his branch but not showing up on the master code branch. Found some possible errors with another developer's code that was affecting Dustin's project.
Recording notes from 11/27 to 11/28.
Working with Bryan. He is working on a big API socket project for a 3rd party vendor. Going over a number of questions on where to get certain values. Kinda like mapping. They were requesting certain data or something and we may not call it that. Sort of an interpretation of this means that and what not. We also talked about ways to control access to certain API sockets and also control traffic loads (pagination or capping things at certain record count values).
|Shop 10654||Working with Shannon||11/28/2023||
Good work session with Shannon. We were going over the SWOT analysis document. See attached for our progress. We are currently working through the weaknesses section. We had some great conversations and are definitely learning some great lessons and things. We are also trying to capture the story and history from ship A (original adilas) and trying to figure out what we want to do with fracture or adilas light (ship B or the next level of the adilas application, platform, and system).
- Just for fun. Here were a few things that I wrote down today. See attached for tons more notes and ideas.
- Adilas is like a buffet with access to a kitchen as well. Instead of just getting an all you can eat buffet, imagine the possibilities if you could arrange, cook, and alter what is provided. Kinda fun to think about it.
- Sometimes talking through things and about things helps bring clarity as we talk and have open and honest discussions on certain topics.
- Being real - sometimes not the most comfortable - being vulnerable and showing or admitting weaknesses.
I really enjoyed our session today. We are talking about things that we are learning that are normal everyday life lessons, not just adilas lessons. That's pretty cool!
|Shop 10682||Recording Notes||11/28/2023||
Recording more notes from a conference back in September. See elements of time # 10257 for notes on the Rezzimax conference. Some good stuff there.
|Shop 10678||Internal tech support||11/27/2023||
Tech support for our guys. Checking branches for Will. Phone call with Eric going over plans and updates. Switched over to the bulk clear customer loyalty points project. Fixing the page to work with both the classic theme and the snow owl theme (look and feel stuff). Merged in some code for Will and pushed it live on all serves. Emails.
|Shop 10677||Tip Integration Progress||11/27/2023||
Meeting with Eric to go over plans and developments in the tip integration project. Looking over files, making changes, and then retesting on my local. Eric was making the changes, I would pull them down and then run the tests again. Good work session.
|Shop 10674||Meeting with Cory||11/27/2023||
Jumped on with Cory and Shari O. to show them some progress on my bulk clear loyalty points project. Small show and tell. We merged in a small branch for Chuck and then talked about some clean-up on pagination on certain pages that is needed (go to the next page - pagination). We talked about yearend stuff and getting the known pieces done before the end of the year. That one, yearend tax stuff, comes up every year. We have to update 1099's, W-2's, and other reports. We also have to add new tax withholding tables and update values. Maintenance stuff.
|Shop 10676||Working on a bulk clear loyalty points tool||11/25/2023||
Working on the bulk clear loyalty points project. Added some new buttons from different pages based on permissions and look-ups. Jotted down a few more to do list items for that project. Making progress.
|Shop 10675||Working on a bulk clear loyalty points tool||11/24/2023||
Working on a special bulk clear customer loyalty points tool. Building a new page/report and all of the logic. We will let the user look-up points and dollar values for any date. We will also allow them to select a date, enter some special bulk clear notes and submit the page for processing. Once finished, we will do some look-ups and loops behind the scenes to virtually clear the loyalty points by making a manual entry to bring the values to zero. Got most of the way through the page. Still working on the looping logic and actual clean-up portion.
Emails, tech support, and checking on the WordPress site and Cloudflare issues with the main site. Phone call with Steve talking about SG&A costs. Quick phone call with Cory to go over customer loyalty points. Quick GoToMeeting with Bryan to help with some questions. Recording notes from 11/20-11/22.
|Shop 10672||Meeting with Bryan||11/21/2023||
Jumped on a Zoom session with Cory to help give some advice on an API socket connection for a client. After that, I jumped on with Bryan on the GoToMeeting session. We did some planning on a new 3rd party API socket project. After we finished, I did some light research on running old Adobe Flash videos (.swf's) to see old content that never got updated to a newer version. I found a flash player called "Ruffle". I downloaded it and played around with it. I was able to watch some of the older flash videos.
Got an email from Wayne saying that we need to update our QR code generation library to a newer version. Emails and wrapping up the day.
|Shop 10663||Tip Integration Testing||11/21/2023||
Going over tips, rollout plan, and code review session with Eric on his tips project. We checked on some database transactions and database updates. We then pulled down his code branch to my computer and started doing some testing with me driving and Eric watching and telling me where to go. We found a few things to fix and I showed him some other places that he did not know about that tie into the accounting for the tips. We spent some time going over flow and user expectations. Making progress.
|Shop 10655||Working with Shannon||11/21/2023||
Good session with Shannon and I going over Weaknesses on the SWOT analysis document. See attached for some of our notes. Not yet polished, just putting down ideas and general flavor. Great discussions. We did some work on figuring out billing for Shannon as well. One of my big takeaways from today was make sure and measure on the gain (how far we have come) vs the gap (what is still left). It's just so much more fulfilling to measure off of the gain. I love it. I'm going to try to remember that. Sometimes we have to learn lessons over and over again. All part of the battle and part of the plan.
|Shop 10671||Recording Notes||11/20/2023||
Recording notes from end of last week (11/16 - 11/17).
|Shop 10662||Tip Integration||11/20/2023||
Going over the tip rollout plan with Eric. Talking about dependencies, plans, stages, and steps. We ended up running the first round of database updates. We then merged in some code and ran the updates on all servers. We may need Alan's expertise to help us push stuff to the next the level. We'll do what we can and then circle around.
|Shop 10657||check code||11/20/2023||
Code review with Bryan. Going over some advanced PO exports and reports. Just for fun, the page he is working on is called the advanced PO main flex line parent sub search. That's a mouthful. Not sure who named that, but that's okay. Little bit of code clean-up and light CSS formatting changes. Pushed up new code.
|Shop 10573||Brandon and Cory projects||11/20/2023||
Meeting with Cory and Shari O. going over projects and priorities. After that, we jumped in and went over an API socket connect for a company. Light tech support helping them get connected and going.
|Shop 10669||Bug fix||11/17/2023||
Small hot fix for the add/edit customer page. Got the hot fix from Chuck. It was missing a button.
|Shop 10668||Code review||11/16/2023||
Met up with Chuck after hours to do some code review on the add/edit customers page. We did some catching up and I showed him around some of the adilas financials. He has been doing some after hours work and light moonlighting work for us here lately.
|Shop 10638||Meeting with Hamid||11/16/2023||
Hamid has worked for Walmart for almost 20 years. He was talking to me about their online shopping options. He had been there long enough to see the start, changes, and current direction. Online shopping, pick-up, and delivery have been huge for Walmart. They are even doing special Black Friday type events that are only open on the online store. He was talking about how the online store is tied to your other in-store accounts and being able to help you repopulate your cart with items that you currently buy (personal purchase history stuff). We do some similar things but on a much smaller scale.
We talked about leveraging your data and helping to make things easier and easier for you to add things to the cart and get quick history or purchase history reports. That's some important data.
We are going to skip next week and then meet up the week after Thanksgiving. Hamid wants me to train him more on using ColdFusion and passing form data and values back and forth. Just for fun, we are going to work on a pizza ordering form for some training practice.
|Shop 10667||Meeting with Cory||11/16/2023||
Cory had a number of 3rd party solutions that needed to be looked into. We spent some time looking at their integrations and checking API sockets. The two companies were Dutchie and Headset. Made some small changes, looking around, and then showing Cory some other changes that we made.
|Shop 10639||Working with Shannon||11/16/2023||
Time working with Shannon on the SWOT analysis. We were going over strengths section and started getting into the weaknesses section. See attached for our progress. Still really rough but making progress.
|Shop 10666||Recording Notes||11/16/2023||
Rereading and recording notes from an older conference and seminar. See notes from the Rezzimax conference back in September (EOT # 10257). Finding my place and getting back into it. Lots of good observations, reminders, and lessons.
|Shop 10665||Recording Notes||11/16/2023||
Recording notes for 11/15/23.
|Shop 10652||Fixing a payroll bug||11/15/2023||
Fixing a bug on the calculate payroll page. The error was some older code that was doing a loop over a query with a grouping. That code used to work fine but doesn't seem compatible with the newer code. Bryan and I were working on this bug. We got stumped for a bit. I was trying things and running a series of tests. He put the errors into ChatGPT (AI or artificial intelligence bot). By the time we were done, we had a working solution. It took both of us to get a working page again. We pushed up code and Bryan sent an email out to Cory and others.
|Shop 10651||Data import||11/15/2023||
Finished up the loyalty points upload page. Ran the whole thing once without it making any database changes just to see if it would work. Got stats, counts, and a list of things that it skipped. Actually did the process for real and sent a message to the client letting them know how it went.
|Shop 10650||Data import||11/15/2023||
Custom data import for a client. It was dealing with customer loyalty points. Their data was kinda messed up. Played with replacing phone numbers in queries by pulling data, looping, string manipulation, and then pushing that data back into the queries in memory. Spent time combing the data and started coding the upload page.
|Shop 10648||Recording Notes||11/15/2023||
Recording notes from the past couple of days (11/13-11/14).
|Shop 10640||Working with Shannon||11/14/2023||
Meeting with Shannon. We were going over the SWOT analysis document. Shannon had taken all of the pieces and put them together into a single document. See attached. It is very rough still, but a good start. Most of our session we were talking about plans and how we want to organize things. We decided to do two different SWOT analysis. One will be for the current - ship A - or adilas as it is right now. The other will be ship B - fracture or adilas lite - where we are headed. We also decided that we are going to do a small summary (quick and dirty) and then provide more for those who really want to read it. Not everybody likes to pour over all of the details.
Emails and helping Chuck with some questions. Getting him going in a good direction.
|Shop 10646||check code||11/13/2023||
Bryan and I spent some time working on a small fix for some of his Authorize.net code. We pushed up some changes. We then flipped over and did some more work on the data disconnect on data 8 for a client and their sub inventory reports. We went in and ran a number of test queries, made some actual code changes and pushed up the new code. Bryan sent some emails out to let some of the power users know and to go in and try it out.
|Shop 10636||Working with Eric||11/13/2023||
Working with Eric. Going over a rollout plan for his tip stuff. His branch has 24 files, 2 current conflicts, and 15 cfc's (ColdFusion components). Lots of dependencies and internal changes. Tips sound pretty easy on the surface. It is going to get deep. It affects reports, invoices, math, deposits, payouts, balance sheet items, accounts receivable, etc.
We also talked quite a bit about USAePay (merchant gateway that we use). We have a need for some of our guys to have the actual hardware devices in their hands. We have some simulators, but the actual accounts and products are only available in a live environment. That adds a challenge. We talked about the need to better equip our developers with the correct hardware to help them in their coding and debugging processes. There is a cost to some of that. There is also a cost on the not having those pieces (more development time and even some guess work).
Anyways, we spent a little bit of time going over some ideas to help us out with R&D (research and development) type projects. We may look at getting our guys better hardware to test on and actual full or paid accounts vs just test accounts and simulators. It depends on the project. Anyways, at least having conversations about the needs there.
Checking out some code from Will for a custom client website. Quick phone call with Steve and then merging in Will's branch of code. Texting back and forth with Will to answer questions.
|Shop 10571||Brandon and Cory projects||11/13/2023||
Meeting with Cory and Shari O. Going over projects and priorities. Small updates on where each of the current projects stand. We talked quite a bit about the need for more special line items and maybe even making them more dynamic. Special line items are things that our clients get by default (things like labor, part number other, fee, shipping, freight, discount, supplies, etc.). They also have some special functionality that nothing else has as far as how they play, how they show up for roll call, and special grouping on certain reports. The other feature that Cory has been using recently is the percentage add-on feature that takes the cart total and then figures out a percentage to make that number stick and pass through the cart as a fee or whatever. We may end up doing a project to help with these features (dynamic special line items).
Toward the end of the meeting, we were talking about yearend payroll updates and changes that are needed (taxes, rules, forms, new rates and formulas). That comes up every year. One of our constant maintenance items for the adilas application.
|Shop 10645||Paying bills||11/11/2023||
|Shop 10643||Meeting with Russell||11/11/2023||
Great meeting with Russell. We spent the whole time going over management type topics (managing code developers and software guys/gals, and IT/Server type people). Here are some of my notes:
- Talking about being really up front and open, right off the bat. Firing people - giving them a chance to change. Having agreements and expectations in place. Russell, decided that he is going to start saying things (sooner). Learning lessons and then applying that knowledge.
- We were talking about how to measure things. Get a project that was/is of equal complexity and then seeing how long it takes. Checking on productivity. Measuring hours and lines of code. Performance metrics. Tracking insertions and deletions (time divided by insertions). Other factors - such as: Was it exploratory? What was the difficulty? What kind of code type (language, type, mix)? How much pressure was there (timelines, budget, other)? Was it a new project, old (re-vamp or refactor), or research based? Were the tasks and direction known or unknown? Great questions.
- Talking about different topics - managers, code time, review, project management, decisions, complexity
- Things that help (in the bigger picture) - making code modular and having/doing tests - this allows you to be able to refactor things quickly.
- What do you want to be (as a company)? We are being forced down the big boy path. We are a SaaS company (software as a service). That requires project management, dev ops, budgets, senior devs, it/servers, order, etc.
- Looking at budget and charging more for our services. If you want this, this is custom.
- Other software costs a lot of money - for Fox Pest Control - they went with Salesforce - it was 80K build, 40k yearly, and 20k maintenance fee - those numbers didn't include project management and design. That was only one project.
- Going into old code may end up doubling your time - updating existing or going new into existing.
- Familiarity - do you know what is going on and where possible problems may be? That is huge.
- Standards and consistency - good coding practices
- Product managers and project managers - they are different. We could use both...
- Charging for projects and maintenance of those projects. Don't forget the maintenance - that is a huge part of the puzzle.
- If no one is managing... you have to accept the hodgepodge house.
- Hard to mix managing and coding - super hard to be both... Too much pressure. Who is the leader, who is out exploring, who is managing, who is coding?
- Who can handle the one-liners (self-exploratory projects) vs everything lined out - some people don't know what is needed or what is wanted. Sometimes we give them too much rope and they hang themselves. Certain people can handle the self-exploratory projects and others need to be guided - almost step-by-step.
- Consistency - little drips vs floods
Emails, paying bills, recording notes, and research on SQL tables and joins.
|Shop 10637||Meeting with Bryan||11/10/2023||
Meeting with Bryan. We spent the whole time looking at sub inventory data on data 8 for a single corporation. We are trying to look under the covers and see if we can see why two reports are giving different numbers. We ran query after query checking the data. We thought that it was dealing with our inner joins and left joins. We discovered some stuff dealing with how the relationships are made. Some of them are just plain one-to-one. Some are one-to-many, and some don't even exist. That makes it a little bit tougher to follow and get consistent info.
The crux of the problem seems to be dealing with the relationship between po/invoice lines items and sub inventory packages or sub ids. Anyways, we documented a bunch of the queries that we were running to keep track of our findings. Brandon has those queries on his local computer in a file.
|Shop 10625||Meeting with Hamid||11/9/2023||
Meeting with Hamid. We went through the steps to setup ColdFusion on his local box. We got it running and did some light training and practice. We went over variables, URL scope, and lightly what you can do with the FORM scope. I then showed him some practical application on how we, at adilas, combine variables, URLs, and Forms to make an entire application. Hopefully that makes it more real as compared to just practice stuff.
|Shop 10635||check code||11/9/2023||
Meeting with Bryan. Made a few small changes to fix a bug. Spent the rest of the time looking at data and trying to figure out why or what is going on for a data disconnect for a corp on data 8. We ran lots of behind the scenes queries to check po/invoice lines, parts, time sub inventory, and fiddled with different joins and filters.
After our work session, I was on a phone call with Eric talking about tips and a new data flow process that is coming down the pipeline. We went over a few questions and talked about some of the cause and effect trickle down as we change things. We made some plans to reconnect and work on it on Monday.
Spent half an hour combing data and looking at live data for a client. They sent us a CSV file with customer info and loyalty points on it. The data is kinda messy. We'll have to do some major gymnastics to really make it work. Light prep work.
|Shop 10615||Working with Shannon||11/9/2023||
Shannon was not feeling well. No meeting took place.
Looking at a video that Bryan made. Emails, phone calls, and recording notes. Going over plans with Cory for a client import for customer loyalty points. General stuff.
|Shop 10633||Working on the discount engine project||11/8/2023||
Going through the older discount engine file and re-vamping the code. We need this file to use a new database column and keep working while we work on the new one. Going through the older file, line by line, and making changes. Small disclaimer, I had to physically skip certain sections and pieces. It was stuff that I don't know, mostly dealing with the style that it was written in. Anything that I could, I changed it to our normal (my normal) standard of code.
|Shop 10632||Working with Bryan||11/8/2023||
Meeting with Bryan to finish up his bigger report process and CSV creation report. We went through a number of to do list items. Lots of testing. Made a few small tweaks and changes. We deleted 4 un-needed files and merged in the code with the master branch. I think it looks pretty tight, from what I can see.
|Shop 10630||Working with Bryan||11/7/2023||
Work session with Bryan. We were working on the CSV builder report. We had a huge work session yesterday for about 5.5 hours. Bryan made some other changes and we spent most of this session testing, debugging, and pushing up code to test on bigger and bigger datasets. Spent some time going over to do list items. We started out with ten and got it down to about four left. We will hit it again tomorrow. We pushed up the code so that some of our power users can start playing with it. Making progress!
|Shop 10616||Working with Shannon||11/7/2023||
Shannon was not feeling well. We did not meet today. I did however, take some of our past work and pushed up some stuff for the adilas lite website. We have been working on some overviews for the different projects.
Brushing up on some skills and doing some training. Going over stuff from w3schools. Made a small change to the main adilas CSS. Later on, went in and added some new verbiage for the overviews on the adilas lite site for the adilas jellyfish model and the adilas lite videos and research.
|Shop 10629||check code||11/6/2023||
Spent time working with Bryan rebuilding and optimizing some sub queries. We worked on pagination, logic, and a number of sub look-ups for the bigger CSV files and reports. Lots of testing, pushing up code on data 0, drawing, and fixing small pieces. Big long work session today. We got through the crux of the report. Bryan is going to work on it tomorrow and we'll get back together to check it out. Some good learning going on today.
|Shop 10574||Brandon and Cory projects||11/6/2023||
Meeting with Cory and Shari O. - Going over projects and priorities. I'm going to be doing more work on the discount engine this week. We spent a bunch of time on possible solutions for recouping credit card processing fees. We talked about adding in an extra hanger on the main invoice, commandeering the tips options, increasing prices, adding a separate line item, running things through hidden line items, play with it like a tax, adding a connivence or administrative fee, and using multiple invoices to do the job. We also talked about bulk tools and reverse discounts (add to an invoice vs taking away). Lots of options.
We physically went in and played with some of the options. Cory is going to take the info back to the client and see what they want to do. Some of the options are free, meaning they already exist. Other options may include some development time.
Another topic that seems to be heating up is people are wanting to use our loyalty points and they want to transfer in data and/or upload things from outside sources. We talked about bulk external upload tools and how all of that works. We just made some of that code for a client last month. We plan on reusing that and making it able to upload multiple times without doubling things up. Recording some notes.
|Shop 10628||Updating time zones||11/5/2023||
Updating time zones on all servers due to daylight savings changes.
|Shop 10627||Recording Notes||11/4/2023||
Recording notes from 11/1/23 to 11/4/23.
|Shop 10624||Working with Bryan||11/3/2023||
Working with Bryan on the bigger reports and processes to make CSV files. We created a new branch and are going to be rewriting some of the deep looping logic. We spent the full session going over things and starting from the top of the page and rewriting things. Lots of testing, teaching, searching, and explaining. Small work/training session.
|Shop 10591||Meeting with Hamid||11/2/2023||
Meeting with Hamid over the GoToMeeting session. Touching base and then helping Hamid install ColdFusion on his local box. Small intro to ColdFusion with things like variables, lists, arrays, and URL parameters. Small training meeting.
|Shop 10623||check and push code||11/2/2023||
Working with Bryan. We got into some of the loops within other loops. It can get pretty confusing. Anyways, we were doing way too much. We ended up checking to see how many database hits were happening to pull a certain number of records. I think that because the loops within loops were off, we were making the system work too hard.
We pushed up some code and did some testing. It was still a little bit crazy and we decided that tomorrow we would rewrite it and spend time going line by line vs just a quick review of the code. We even took some time to write what we were planning in plain English vs writing it in code. Sometimes that helps you see a better overall picture vs getting lost in the technical aspects of the code.
|Shop 10587||Working with Shannon||11/2/2023||
Shannon wasn't feeling good. We decided to skip today. We'll hit it again next week.
|Shop 10613||Meeting with the Bear 100 data/radio team||11/1/2023||
Light prep for a Bear 100 radio folk meeting. Going over pages that they sent me with requests, requirements, and flow ideas. We then got on a GoToMeeting session with about 10 of the radio (HAM radio) folks. Good meeting. A guy by the name of Guy was leading the meeting. I took a bunch of notes. Bascially, the aid station workers were asking for limited access to the data. Previously, the only ones who had real access were what they called the data team. We may end up exposing a super small interface to allow the data team to check things (mini API socket or packet distribution). See attached for some notes.
|Shop 10626||Meeting with Bryan||11/1/2023||
Meeting with Bryan. Going over his progress on the bigger CSV file builder stuff. He's working on sub pagination and breaking whole processes into smaller pieces. Small meeting touching base and checking direction.
|Shop 10622||Discount engine||11/1/2023||
A couple different sessions getting back into the discount engine project. Part way through I got a phone call from Steve. We chatted about designers, developers, projects, and where things are at (in general). Good phone call. He wanted a link to the project CSS theme. That's the one that we used to develop the snow owl theme for adilas. After the phone call, back on the re-vamp of the discount engine project. Most of my time was spent combing over the older discount engine page.
|Shop 10621||Recording Notes||11/1/2023||
Recording notes from the past couple of days (10/30/23 to 10/31/23).
|Shop 10620||Meeting with Bryan||10/31/2023||
Meeting with Bryan. Looking over his bigger CSV file maker code with a progress bar. Looked pretty good locally. Pushed it up live and did some bigger tests with it and it had some issues. We talked about ways to make the bite sizes smaller and smaller. It's still trying to process too much at a time without any information back to the users. Slowly making progress.
|Shop 10586||Working with Shannon||10/31/2023||
Working with Shannon. Reviewing some of our work from last week. Then jumping into the next section. Copied over the jellyfish overview from an internal questionnaire from a couple of years ago. Spent the rest of the time working on the SWOT analysis. John and I roughed out some stuff back in July. Shannon and I were going in and harnessing some of that work. Trying to make that document more usable. See attached for some uploaded pieces that we are working on.
Spent an hour doing some training on W3schools. Reviewing some HTML and CSS stuff.
|Shop 10619||Working on the discount engine project||10/30/2023||
Looking into the discount engine code. Created a new branch and stashed some of the older code pieces. I'll grab and pull things out as I need them (stashed resources). Started to make a new database update page. Slowly working through the different pages. First task is to map things out and match up database changes between old and new. We can't launch the new without the changes but the new changes will break the old discount engine. We have to meet in the middle. This project has been being worked on for a couple of years now with multiple developers. I'm kinda doing a salvage and clean-up type project.
|Shop 10612||New Tips Paid Expense Type||10/30/2023||
Two different sessions with Eric, going over tips, payments, and use cases and scenarios. Our first session was in the morning from 9:30-10 am. I had to bail out to meet with Cory and Shari O. We met up again at 11 and did some more talking and discussing. The main goal was tips, flow, and keeping financials in balance and in good shape. We also talked about either creating and/or using some mappings for new expense types and/or deposit types. We talked alot about EMV/chip readers, tips, and how to handle those credit card type transactions. We also talked about cash/check scenarios and how that is sometimes treated differently for tips and repayment.
Each corporation does their own stuff and handles tips in their own way. Some treat it as cash and cash out every night. Others hold it, track it, and pay it back out with payroll, taxes, and a rolling payment method. Lots of companies in between, including some companies that don't allow or don't even deal with tips. Lots of possible scenarios.
Some of our discussions got off into the weeds a bit. Adilas is so flexible, we allow our clients to sort of make up their own rules. That is great, but we may also need a way to help steer them in a good direction and/or help them enforce their own rules. If we create something, we can't just take that away. We have to leave it alone so that it can play through any past transactions or user history actions. That complicates things a bit.
We talked about a dedicated tip screen on the checkout process. That would help us gather the correct information and even provide us with enough information to process things how we need to, to keep everything inline.
|Shop 10570||Brandon and Cory projects||10/30/2023||
Meeting with Cory and Shari O. over a Zoom session. We were looking into an issue with one of our client's balance sheet and some gift card transactions. We had to update the created date/time on the corp special account transactions for some gift cards that were partially done in the old way and then converted to the new way. As a side note, we may need to allow that date/time field to be editable. I had to do it from the background. That might be nice to have that as a standard feature.
We talked about the discount engine project and came up with a small plan for going forward. The new plan involves a database change, retrofitting the old discount engine code to use the new database changes, then working on the new discount engine code. Ideally, we get the database piece done and then allow our users to pick if they want to use the old or the new (for a while). When ready, we fully transition to the new code base. We also covered some other questions and what not.
|Shop 10611||Recording Notes||10/26/2023||
Recording notes from earlier this week (10/23 to 10/26).
|Shop 10602||Meeting with Cory||10/26/2023||
Meeting with Cory to show her progress on a couple of different projects. We merged and pushed up code and did some testing. We tested on both data0 and data1 servers.
|Shop 10605||Working on projects||10/26/2023||
Emails and working on projects. Finished up on the new end of day filters for showing payments by main salesperson or who actually did the transaction. Looked into USAePay validation for the 3 or 4 digit code for credit card payments. Also added some code to all the header dates to be changed if making a PDF of an invoice or a quote. The default is to use the current date for the header date. On invoices and quotes, the PDF needs to show the original date of either the invoice or quote. Anyways, made the changes and plain PDF headers allow for a date to be passed through vs just pulling in the current date. Recording notes from the past few days.
|Shop 10588||Working with Shannon||10/26/2023||
Work session with Shannon. We spent some time going over the ideas that we had for the overview for the videos and research project. We spent a bunch of time refining our draft. We then moved on to the adilas jellyfish model and did some brainstorming there on what to put into the overview for that project. Great work session. See attached for our videos and research overview text.
|Shop 10606||Working on new report filters||10/25/2023||
Back working on the end of day report for closing out a cash drawer. Good work session. Got all of the normal pages coded and tested. Started going through a number of custom or one-off pages that used similar code. Pushed up a number of new commits on the code branches. Lots of testing in both secure and customer folders (file paths).
|Shop 10601||Meeting with Bryan||10/25/2023||
Met with Bryan and spent some time looking over his new code. This new code uses a manual process to create and generate a high record count CSV file using click through pagination (next n or next page of some number of pages). The past couple of days we have been trying to debug an automated process. We decided to step back, get it fully working manually, and then try to automate it. Otherwise there were too many new variables in the process. Making good progress.
|Shop 10600||Meeting with Eric||10/25/2023||
Meeting with Eric to merge and push up some new code to help with certain merchants (our customers) who need to switch between a manual card entry, a swipe card entry, or a EMV/Chip card entry. We chatted, pushed things up, and ran some tests. Eric is going to call a customer and make sure that they know what to do differently. Trying to make things easier.
|Shop 10599||check code||10/24/2023||
Working with Bryan. He had met with Dustin and they came up with some ideas. We did a small session with Bryan telling me what to do and how to do it. That way we could push it up live to test it with a bigger record set. Bryan doesn't have access to push things up to the servers yet. We tested and tested. We decided to go a totally different route. I gave him some new marching orders and a really simple mini plan. He's going to start working in that direction. The other way had too many unknowns.
|Shop 10585||Working with Shannon||10/24/2023||
Meeting with Shannon. We spent some time going over the 10,000 foot view of the new adilas lite projects. We are trying to move into the 5,000 foot view (closer or more details in the plan). We prepped some files to record notes on the overviews per project. We watched a few videos of some of what we have already captured to this point. Trying to get some traction.
|Shop 10610||Meeting with Bryan||10/23/2023||
Working with Bryan on his project to help build large CSV files behind the scenes (too big to show on the normal website or web pages). Spent most of the session virtually chasing errors and what not. Lots of complex moving parts.
|Shop 10609||Working on adding new filters to the daily closing report||10/23/2023||
Adding a new couple of filters to the closing reports. Sometimes we call this the daily/weekly sales report. The new settings deal with how the database queries the invoice payments. Some people want the report to show the payments based on who is the main salesperson per invoice. Others want to know if someone else did the payment part of it. We had to add in some options and switches. Lots of code changes and then following those links and drill-downs from page to page. Good little work session.
|Shop 10572||Brandon and Cory projects||10/23/2023||
Meeting with Cory and Shari O. We went over projects and priorities. That went pretty quick. We then got into some code and looked at the SG&A costs (selling general and administrative costs). We looked over older code, went through things, and then brainstormed on some new ideas. We would love to start from the expense/receipts. Basically, build it, then click a button or something to create the PO (SG&A inventory) and back tie it to the expense. That would be really cool. We went over some small drawings and such.
After the meeting, I got on a phone call with Bryan. I also did some emailing back and forth with Will on some general webpage settings for ecommerce.
|Shop 10598||Recording Notes||10/21/2023||
Recording notes from the past couple of day. Most of it was dealing with a new CSV upload for customer loyalty points.
|Shop 10597||Working on a data import||10/21/2023||
Finished up the code for the CSV customer loyalty points upload page. This allows us to take a CSV file, match it with existing customers in the database, and record manual entries for customer loyalty points coming from an outside source or outside system. Ran the code live and merged in the page with the master branch. Uploaded over 3,400+ entries with customer loyalty points for a client. Let both Eric and Cory know and gave them an update.
|Shop 10596||Working on a data import||10/20/2023||
Working on the CSV customer loyalty points upload page for a client. Working on the logic portion of the code. Quick phone call with Eric to go over progress and ask a few questions. Getting close. Ran out of time.
|Shop 10595||Working on the CSV upload for customer loyalty points||10/19/2023||
Started working on a new CSV upload file to help remotely load in customer loyalty points for clients who were on a different system and then switched over to adilas. Spent time combing the original data file (CSV file). Started working on the new upload code. Recorded some notes from yesterday.
|Shop 10579||Meeting with Shannon||10/19/2023||
Meeting with Shannon. She is planning on helping me two days a week going through Ship B stuff for fracture and adilas lite. Our goal is to start going through the outline (high-level look at the upcoming projects) and detailing things out. That is exciting.
We also went over a book called "Who Moved My Cheese" by Dr. Spencer Johnson. This was an assignment that I gave her. See attached for some of our notes. We had a good discussion and chatted for a bit.
We also put a few new elements of time on the calendar for the next couple of weeks. Good stuff.
Emails, phone calls, and text messages.
|Shop 10590||Working with Bryan||10/18/2023||
A couple of different work sessions with Bryan. He is working on saving large reports with an asynchronous process to build a CSV file behind the scenes. It gets pretty deep. We have to query all of the data, check record counts, show errors and options if over the limit. If not over the record count limit, we need to show the actual data. If they choose to build the CSV file (comma separated values file) we have to save the settings, build it, show progress, and then let them know when it is all done and ready for downloading. Pretty intense process.
So, on his local box, Bryan has run over 70+ tests and built that many CSV files. While testing, we found a few errors. We ended up removing some of the buttons and options and keeping things really simple. We took off options like refine your search or save report. We got the files ready and pushed them up to data 8 for some live testing. We instantly ran into some errors on the live server. We did a whole session where we just patched things and got it stable again.
We left lots of the new code on the master branch (with patches) and will circle back around. We then tried to get things setup to do more testing on the live server without hurting any of the existing traffic, data, and users. The new test stuff will virtually be built out on a side road of sorts (away from the normal data, pages, and flow). Sent a request to Wayne to let Bryan get access to data 8 for FTP (file transfer protocol - uploading files) privileges.
|Shop 10584||Recording Notes||10/17/2023||
Recording notes from yesterday and today (10/16 - 10/17). Both in the shop and inside of adilas.
|Shop 10578||Meeting with Bryan||10/17/2023||
Meeting with Bryan. Going over more progress bar stuff for building larger CSV files. Talking about and making some changes to the code. Right towards the end, we ended up looking into an auto submit process that was creating a saved report. We need to clean that up. Most likely, Bryan and I will be meeting tomorrow to look over some of the changes and code tweaks. Getting closer.
Code review for Eric on his EMV/Chip and swipe/manual entry for credit card transactions. Made a few small changes. Called and talked with Eric. I got a call from John and we chatted and touched base on some projects. Spent some time recording notes from the past couple of days. It's been one thing, right into the next thing.
Emails and looking over some code that Eric was working on. His code was dealing with USAePay (merchant gateway) and showing options for switching between EMV/Chip readers and swipe/manual entry on credit cards. We have needs for both of those avenues.
Got a text from Cory asking me to jump on a Zoom meeting. We ended up adding in some special history logging on part category and sub inventory settings. We looked around for any bulk or global tools that may have affected our clients sub inventory template settings. We added the new code, tested, and pushed up code.
|Shop 10580||Meeting with Dustin||10/17/2023||
Dustin and I met up to go over his new integrated side menu cart page. We spent lots of time on screen resolution, layout options, anchors, refresh rates, and user interface topics. Good work session. We did lots of drawing, zooming in/out, and making some plans. After that, we talked about merging code, resolving conflicts, Git, the bash window, and bit bucket stuff (code repository).
|Shop 10583||Prep work||10/16/2023||
Screenshots and prep work to help Dustin out with his new integrated side menu shopping cart. Coming up with ideas and sending him an email with ideas. We then chatted on the phone for a bit.
|Shop 10577||Meeting with Bryan and Will||10/16/2023||
Meeting with Bryan for about half an hour. Going over progress bar stuff. He is still working on it. After that, I met up with Will Hudson who used to work with us back in 2015-2017 ish. He is circling back around and we were working on getting his local development environment all setup and going. We ended up doing some light debugging. After that, we went over some ideas for basic or generic website pages for our clients. I tried to show him the goal or vision of where it will end up. He'll start making steps towards that and we'll refine it as we go. Eventually, we will tie the new pages into simple settings, ecommerce, and the public customer portal that we offer to our clients.
|Shop 10576||check code||10/16/2023||
Working with Bryan on saving large files as CSV files. We were talking about session variables inside of the CFC's (ColdFusion components) and best practices. Bryan is going to rework some stuff and get back with me.
On the phone with Eric. We were going over 2 main topics. One was his new code for both EMV/Chip reader credit card transactions and normal swipe or manual entry credit card transactions. He has a branch that he wants me to look over. The other major topic was dealing with an import for a client that had customer info and customer loyalty points from a different system.
After working with Eric, I tried to track down a possible bug with scanning a sub inventory package or sub inventory number. It ended up being a setting that prompts for a specific sub weight. I turned it off and the sub barcode scanning worked great. We wanted it to skip that extra step. Just had to flip the right setting. No code changes took place. I reported back to Steve, Cory, and Dustin.
|Shop 10575||Brandon and Cory projects||10/16/2023||
Quick 20 minute meeting with Cory to go over projects and priorities. I then got on a phone call with Steve. We were going over general stuff, sales, demos, meetings, and new shopping cart stuff. Steve requested that I keep pushing on stuff and also help out with Dustin, Eric, Bryan, and Will. I wrote a few things down in my notes to follow-up on with the guys.
|Shop 10608||Working on a customer data upload||10/10/2023||
Multiple sessions - working on uploading customers for a client. I went through and rebuilt the CSV upload page. Also fixing a small mess from a prior upload done by another developer. Spent time cleaning up some duplicate records. Let the guys and gals that are working with that client know where things were at. Merged and pushed up files.
|Shop 10607||Working on the Texas 130-U PDF form||10/10/2023||
Finished up the work on the Texas 130-U PDF form. This is a required piece of paperwork for dealerships and application for titles in Texas. Our trailer dealers use this from and populate it from data inside of adilas that is collected during the sale of the stock/unit (trailer or bigger vehicle). Pushed the newest version up to all servers. I then had to go to each server and update some document and paperwork settings to show the newest version of the form.
|Shop 10568||Meeting - Shopping Cart - Cory, Steve, Dustin, & Brandon||10/10/2023||
Emails and going over a new state level document for selling trailers in Texas (TX 130-U). Going to be working on that project later today.
Shopping cart meeting with Cory, Steve, and Dustin. I gave them a small demo of my new mini scan cart. Dustin is working on taking that code and making it into his own little cart, specific for a single client. Eventually we will use it for other clients, but right now, it is being developed for a single client. After the main meeting, Dustin and I stayed on to go over some other stuff and to make a small to do list. Pushed up some code to fix a small misspelling.
|Shop 10567||Texas 130-U Form||10/9/2023||
Working on replacing the Texas 130-U form for trailer dealers in Texas. This is required paperwork for each sales transaction in Texas. Basically, a title and registration form for the state. Every once in a while, the state will upgrade the form and we have to build out a new option to populate that paperwork requirement. Hundreds of checkboxes, fields, and calculations. Lots of little fields. Pretty detailed form.
|Shop 10566||Phone call with Steve||10/9/2023||
Nice little phone call with Steve. We were talking about developers, who has what skills, and how best to keep helping the team to progress. We have a developer who used to work with us about five years ago that is circling back around to see what we have going on. We talked about some options there. We also have a number of our clients that are requesting simple websites to help their customers out with a simple homepage, about us page, and other simple pages. We could then tie those pages into our ecommerce sections or customer web portal pages. That would be a great fit. Lots of options.
Recording some notes from this morning and simple clean-up stuff.
|Shop 10517||Brandon and Cory projects||10/9/2023||
Meeting with Cory and Shari O. over a Zoom meeting. We started on the end of day reports. We have some clients that like the payments filtered by invoice or main salesperson and other clients that like the payments filtered by the person who did the payment or who was responsible for the invoice payment transaction. We talked about some possible options.
We went over our to do list and set some priorities. After that, Shari O. helped with some cross training to help get Cory up to speed on setting up merchant accounts and merchant processing settings. Light back and forth and some light training. We made sure that access and permissions were set on certain servers and accounts.
|Shop 10565||Working on the scan cart||10/7/2023||
Recording notes from yesterday. Merged in some new code for the mini scan cart settings. The new link builder is done on the settings page. I also spent some time working on the popovers (bigger tool tips) for the cart. I converted all of the sub inventory attributes into a small popover that is hidden by default. It you mouse over it (hover), the icon, it will show all of the correct data. I'm hoping that will help make it look even more simple (layout wise). Pushed up new code.
|Shop 10564||Working on the scan cart||10/6/2023||
Finished up the link builder mini app on the mini scan cart settings page. Started working on some larger tool tips for the sub inventory attributes on the mini scan cart.
|Shop 10563||Recording Notes||10/6/2023||
Emails, recording notes from yesterday, and recording bills and expenses.
|Shop 10562||Meeting with Dustin||10/6/2023||
Quick phone call with Eric going over USAePay stuff and merchant processing options. At some future point, we may need better documentation and/or a hardware specialist on our team.
Meeting with Dustin to go over things. We started out on GoToMeeting and then switched over to Zoom. He had a list of questions. We jumped in and helped him setup his own new shopping cart. We may alter the name, but it will be called something like the integrated side menu cart. It's kinda custom but may be used by other people later on. I'm hoping that our little session will end up saving him tons of time so that he can hit his deadline. Good stuff!
After we got all of his new cart stuff under control, we switched over and talked about FTP (file transfer protocol) stuff. I showed him around, got him info, and we did some light training. He's going to work with Wayne and our hosting company to get everything else all setup. Good session.
|Shop 10538||Meeting with Hamid||10/5/2023||
No meeting took place today. We sent a few text messages back and forth. Crazy times. Just trying to get some traction. We are planning a phone call meeting for next week. Everyone's schedules are pretty booked right now.
Diverse day. Just got back from a multi-day Adobe ColdFusion conference. Lots of catch-up, phone calls, meetings, and small code changes. Here is a rough overview.
- Spent a little over an hour with Cory, on a Zoom meeting. We were going over to do list items and prorities. We went over a number of smaller needs and upcoming/current projects. General project management type stuff.
- Phone calls with Eric, Steve, and Shari O. - These were all separate calls with differnet topics.
- Added users, permissions, and sent out emails to help get Eric setup with system admin options on the data 11 server.
- Going over emails. While doing emails, got a few small code change requests. Made the changes and pushed up the new code. Some of it was internal and some of it was a request from the Bear 100 data team. Created a public facing test CSV file uploader page, specific to the Bear 100 and their runner data files. No database activity is done from this page. It only looks at the uploaded CSV files and spits back parsed data (it runs through the backend logic but no database changes are made - inserts or updates).
- Paying bills and recording receipts from Bryan and I's trip to the ColdFusion conference.
|Shop 10569||Bear 100||9/30/2023||
Checking on the Bear 100 mile race. It was still in full swing. Making a few small changes to some of the pages. Now that it had some real data, we added some counters, links, and other light changes. Normally this would be billable to normal adilas but I had already made the check out for this week.
Checking on some Bear 100 runner counts. It looked like there was a problem. It ended up being that some of the data team (HAM radio folks) changed some records after the race started. Here is what happened. There were a number of people who didn't show up on time to start the race. They were marked as DNS (did not start). Later, at some time, they showed up and wanted to still run. They allowed them to start running with the original group start time. I had already seen the counts, so I had a specific number in my mind. When I checked some of the reports the numbers were different. We got it all figured out.
Phone call with Eric going over the pros and cons of sub/child inventory and parent inventory. We talked for quite a while about the needs, wants, and ins and outs of both options. I put in a plug for the ICC or internal cost correction project that would help allow us to use parent inventory (when needed and there are specific instances where that is better). Anyways, we had a good chat. It comes down to what is best for the situation and for the users. As an analogy, not everyone likes class V (class 5) rapids. Sometimes that's a little too hardcore.
Recording notes from the day. I've been bouncing all over the place today. Part of the gig.
|Shop 10559||Data import||9/29/2023||
Combing data and then doing a new data import for about 1,600 items or products. Sent messages to Cory, Sean, and Eric to have them go in and test things to make sure all was well.
|Shop 10558||Working on the scan cart||9/29/2023||
|Shop 10557||Data clean-up for a client||9/29/2023||
Phone calls with both Cory and Sean. There was a data import that got mixed up on data 11. We had to go in and back a few things out. We removed about 1,600 items and all associated PO line items.
|Shop 10552||Recording Notes||9/29/2023|
|Shop 10556||Bear 100||9/28/2023||
Verifying runners for the Bear 100. Going over the official start list and comparing it to what we had uploaded previously. Making some changes and then sent out emails to the race director and others.
|Shop 10555||Working on the scan cart||9/28/2023||
Phone call with Eric going over what it would take to import customer loyalty points from an outside system or source. We went over some details and ideas. Eric is pretty busy, so I will have to build this out. He is going to send me over a file, and we'll go from there. Most likely, we will need to run this import over and over again for the same client. Reason - they are still using their existing system but as they switch, we need to keep the data up to date. We also anticipate that other clients will need the same capabilities.
Back working on some ecommerce changes and helping out High Valley Bike Shuttles with their page request and navigation options. Custom code for where they want to point people on their ecommerce site. They use a lot of our online schedling pieces, out in ecommerce land.
|Shop 10553||Working with Bryan||9/28/2023||
Meeting with Bryan. I showed him some of the changes to the online scheduling stuff. He helped build the original functionality for reoccurring and special events. We then switched gears and did some planning on dealing with huge record sets and bigger reports and big data exports. Basically, we have the data in the database, but it takes too long to show the whole thing (all of the records) in the browser. Imagine asking for 20,000 records at once. The database servers that up like a snack. However, the browsers struggle because that is a big bite to chew and virtually it is like putting an elephant through a straw. It's painful.
We did lots of drawing, looking at code, samples, existing pages that do mini versions of this, etc. Good planning session. Bryan has already been playing with some code and doing some research. That is awesome. We will continue to keep playing until we feel like we have a good plan and a good mini version of what we are wanting before trying to tie it into live reports.
The discussion turned towards two major options. One is AJAX or asynchronous downloading of the data. We have to respond quickly and then show progress while pulling in the other (thousands) records. The other major option is to offload it, meaning the search and building the export, by using a queue of sorts. Basically, we push the search criteria to the queue, get a total record count, and then start building that behind the scenes. If the user wants to check, we can show progress of how many records have been added as compared with the total record count. We then notify the user when it is done. That way they don't have to wait, and they can be doing something else instead of just waiting and hoping that it will not timeout.
Bryan and I made a plan for doing some local testing on a report with 70,000 ish records and then moving it over to live once we've knocked it around a bit. We went over a few other details, but Bryan is going to start playing with some scratch files. Making progress.
Helping Steve with his VPN connections for accessing the servers. Lots of Bear 100 stuff. That race goes off tomorrow morning. here is link to the news and updates about the race. The actual public runner portal page is located here: https://data0.adilas.biz/bear100
Did some work for High Valley Bike Shuttles and adding some special code to browse right to a specific page with a sub tab (sub section) opened up. Normally, the sub sections have been harder to control. We added in some options to virtually control the pages and the sub tabs within the main pages. That was kinda fun.
|Shop 10543||Meeting with the Bear 100 data team||9/27/2023||
Multiple different sessions working on Bear 100 stuff. Built them a new page to test the CSV uploads. It uploads the page and then runs through the logic without actually inserting or updating the database. Kinda like a mini dry run. It shows errors and good data. Basically, you can run the test over and over again until everything passes. That should be a cool feature for them.
Met with the Bear 100 data team over GoToMeeting. They wanted to see all of the new features that we had added. New features, both to the public runner portal and new features to the backend radio admin app. Small dog and pony show (showing them around and doing a light review). They, the radio folks (Bear 100 data team) only use the system for a couple of days each year. They need a small review.
We played with the new test CSV file page and they gave me some feedback. We changed some code, while they were on the meeting and pushed it up.
After the meeting, I got a list of runners from the race director. Uploaded all of the runners into the system for the 2023 race.
|Shop 10550||Working on the scan cart||9/27/2023||
Working on refining the mini scan cart settings. Spent some time working on modal popups, links, and started on a link builder form. Good little work session. Pushed code up to the repository in a small side branch.
|Shop 10548||Working on the scan cart||9/27/2023||
Recording notes from yesterday and checking emails. Getting started for the day. Spent the morning working on button functionality. Made sure that it tied into the update cart page. Added in some subtotal and tax info. Lots of testing and micro tweaking things. Pushed up to data 0 for some live testing. It will roll into master tomorrow morning. Sent a quick text to Cory and Steve to have them go in and do some testing.
|Shop 10549||Working with Bryan||9/26/2023||
Meeting with Bryan to look at a query. Light research and refinements. Ended up being the main po/invoice line status. The query was including removed or inactive line items. We only wanted the active line items. We also had to add in a web availability filter that we missed.
|Shop 10547||Working on the scan cart||9/26/2023||
Working on the update cart page for the mini scan cart. Went through the classic cart and figured out which form fields were needed. Spent some time putting those values back into play. Light testing on the new cart.
|Shop 10545||Pushing up code||9/26/2023||
Meeting with Bryan. We did some code review on some advanced sub inventory searches. Merged and pushed up code to data 8 for testing. We had to force a cap on the number of records that we would allow to be returned. It was timing out, if we left it too open.
|Shop 10546||Working on the scan cart||9/25/2023||
Jumped back on the new cart project. Working on stripping out form fields from the classic view cart body page. These form fields will need to go into the mini scan cart in order for the update cart page to work correctly. Created a temp file to carve things out. Recording notes for the day and light clean-up.
|Shop 10544||Filling out job references for one of our guys||9/25/2023||
Filling out job reference stuff for John for zip Recruiters. He sent me a couple of emails with links. I just clicked on the links and filled out the forms. After that, just checking elements of time and doing other emails.
|Shop 10541||Working with Bryan||9/25/2023||
Working with Bryan on sub inventory reports. We took an existing report and worked backwards to figure out a better join and better query. We needed some grouped data, but it had to come from a specific table with specific criteria. We ended up changing out the SQL and the left join options. Deep database query stuff. By the time we were done, I think it looked pretty good.
After meeting with Bryan, I got an email from the Bear 100 data team. They would like to meet before the race this weekend. I sent them off an invite to an after-hours meeting on Wednesday. They have a request for me to help build a test page for their CSV files. They have some new CSV formats and they want a place to try them out before they go live or do any real database interactions. Sounds fun.
|Shop 10540||Working on the scan cart||9/25/2023||
|Shop 10518||Brandon and Cory projects||9/25/2023||
Zoom meeting with Cory. My main two projects this week are the new shopping cart and the Bear 100. We also talked about the public API and 3rd party solutions using either the public API or a special 3rd party API socket channel. We spent some time talking about the discount engine and figuring out a plan to launch the new code while still leaving the old code somewhat in place. We may have to go backwards and retrofit the old code to handle the new custom date ranges. We'll get it all figured out.
We looked at some sub inventory reports and sub reports based off of sub id numbers and other sub reports based off of the RFID tag number. Shari O. had a few questions at the end of the meeting. She was mostly just listening in to say on top of what is going on and happening. Cory got to show her a little bit of the new shopping cart. It seems like we are mostly on top of things right now. No huge out of control fires. I left the meeting and Cory and Shari O. were still talking about emails and clients. Good stuff.
|Shop 10539||Recording Notes||9/23/2023||
Sending an email to a buddy to get him started using adilas. Sent him a bunch of links, instructions, and links to videos.
Recording notes from a couple of weeks ago, at the Rezzimax conference. See element of time # 10257 for more details and the actual notes. Wasn't quite able to finish but made some progress. As I was rereading some of those notes, there is some good stuff there. All of us need healing (in one way or another). I enjoyed going back over some of those notes. I was even getting some ideas on things that I could do to help others and myself. Good stuff!
|Shop 10514||Working on the scan cart||9/22/2023||
Recording notes from yesterday (9/21/23). Most of it was ship A stuff. Jumping back into the mini scan cart project. I've actually been having fun. I hate to say it, but for the past few years I've only been able to work on small little baby projects. This one is actually a legit project that is taking more that 5-10 hours. I don't know how much it will actually take but I've already put in more that 40+ hours on this project. That's been kinda fun. One, to learn new things and two, to really see things come together. I've enjoyed that.
Not really part of my time but wanted to record this. Steve sent me a long text message with some ideas for approaching our first white label joint venture opportunity. He's been talking with some guys for quite some time. We've had other text, email, and phone conversations. He has spent countless hours already talking with these guys. He has a meeting with them today and was going to be pitching them on the joint venture white label solution. It looked pretty good. We texted back and forth, and I left a voicemail message for him. We'll see what happens.
Spent some time working on the line items, flow, layout, and links. Made a few other tweaks to the scrollbars, links, buttons, and permissions. Merged in code and pushed a beta version of the mini scan cart up to data 0 and let both Steve and Cory know about it.
As another fun note and message, I got a call from Steve just after lunch. He was reporting in on some of his conversations and meetings that he has had today. We spoke for half an hour on some of the possibilities. He is really turning some things over. Fun stuff and making progress.
|Shop 10515||Meeting with Hamid||9/21/2023||
Jumped on the GoToMeeting with Hamid. He's been playing around with some basic bootstrap stuff. He showed me a page that he is working on. He is having fun altering the CSS and harvesting things out of tutorials and prebuilt themes. That is great practice and can really take you far. We spent a little bit of time going over some harvesting tips and tricks. I think that he enjoyed that. I've been harvesting things lately to work on my mini scan cart project. Just for fun, I showed him what I was working on and how a mix of both frontend and backend together make some cool stuff. Light intro into working with Bootstrap and ColdFusion.
|Shop 10535||Review scan cart with Steve and Cory||9/21/2023||
Zoom session with Cory and Steve. Showing them the progress on the mini scan cart. We did some demoing, playing, and even some drawing of where things are headed. Good meeting. They want me to get it pushed up as a beta cart, even if it is not fully finished. They basically want to play with it and even start showing it before it is fully finished. I'm going to make a few more tweaks and then push up an MVP type beta product. Good stuff.
|Shop 10537||Working on the scan cart||9/21/2023||
Working on cart line items for the new mini scan cart. I was able to harvest some good code from other internal shopping carts. That really helped.
|Shop 10516||Working on the scan cart||9/21/2023||
More work on the mini scan cart. Going over replaceable dynamics, popup modals, and success messages. Working through my to do list. Small work session.
|Shop 10534||Meet with devs to work on master||9/21/2023||
Jumped on the GoToMeeting with Steve, Cory, and Wayne. We were going over bit bucket (code repository) and how to get certain files updated. We had to roll some code back and then things kinda got out of wack. We got it resolved and everything should be good to go. Wayne was showing us some high level code repository stuff. It was way over our heads, but he knew how to do it. I'm super glad that we don't have to figure out everything by ourselves. That's what a team is for.
|Shop 10536||Working on the scan cart||9/20/2023||
Spent some time going through the classic internal shopping cart and listing all of the main pieces and features. See attached for a list. I had forgotten about a bunch of those things... kinda fun but also puts a bigger load on remaking everything for the mini scan cart. We should be able skip quite a few of the things for this round. That will help.
|Shop 10533||Working on the scan cart||9/20/2023||
Doing permissions and security stuff for the mini scan cart and being able to change settings. Working on logic to switch between corp level settings, user level settings, or no settings (new or unset settings). Quick phone call with Cory to go over repushing code up to the master branch after a roll back.
|Shop 10532||Working on the scan cart||9/20/2023||
Email and then back on the mini scan cart project. Spent the morning setting up defaults, submitting the settings form, and inserting or updating the settings records in the database. Light testing on the new functionality.
|Shop 10531||Phone calls and recording notes||9/19/2023||
Bryan gave me a call and we chatted about asynchronous (Ajax) calls and options to help with big reports. I also jumped on a call with Eric talking about EMV chip options and how tips and gratuities play into that. He's making great progress there. We talked about keeping things super generic and then customizing the solution, either through settings, or different payment integrations.
Recording notes from today - busy day (9/19/23).
|Shop 10530||Working on the scan cart||9/19/2023||
Working on the mini scan cart. Spent most of the day working on the settings form. Decided to try an accordion (show/hide/collapse certain sections). The form is pretty big, so I was hoping to make it look more approachable. Light debugging on the mix between the accordion and the form stuff.
|Shop 10529||Phone call with Steve||9/19/2023||
Great phone call with Steve. We were talking about options for white labeling and even doing some kind of franchising options for certain companies. We talked about the concept of being like Intel (chip sets). We don't have to be Dell, Sony, HP, etc. We could just be the software (virtual chip set) that run the other programs and products. We don't care what it is called (the selling company). We just want people to use our products, even if they don't know that they are running adilas or a part of adilas in the background.
Anyways, Steve has had a few different people somewhat approach him lately with similar type requests. They virtually want to own their own software but don't want to pay millions of dollars for it. Steve and I were talking about options on how that could play out and how it would work. Great phone call. I enjoyed the conversation.
As part of the conversation, I was lightly pitching the concept of white labeling and how that could tie into layer 2 of the value add-on core model - Industry specific skins - aka - white labeling. We would like to move in that direction.
|Shop 10524||Meeting with Alan||9/19/2023||
Meeting with Alan over the GoToMeeting session. We did some catch-up and then started talking about plans and priorities. Alan was saying that we could potentially break things down into smaller and smaller pieces. We totally will and need to do that. Just for fun, he said, we could start fracturing fracture (project codename). We looked at the 7-8 projects for adilas lite and talked about priorities and how each one plays into the others. We are planning on focusing more on the value add-on core model project next. We need to lay some things out, define it, and then (even now) start building some of those pieces.
Anything that can be reusable, including concepts and code, we want to build out those pieces. Be able to reuse as much as possible. That way they can help both ship A and ship B out. Good catch-up meeting.
We decided that for the next couple of weeks, we would both focus on some ship A stuff to help out the main adilas system. We have a small deadline to try to hit by October 1st.
|Shop 10526||Meeting with Bryan||9/19/2023||
Meeting with Bryan. Looking over some new merchant processing code and logic. We made a few changes to the add cart payment page and merged and pushed up code on data 0 for some testing, after we had tested locally. After that, we spent some time going over data, steps, and processes for looking at quantities on sub inventory pages and reports. Small work session.
|Shop 10528||Debugging Code & Meeting With Developers||9/19/2023||
Bryan and I merged in some code last night that we were working on. It was working great on all of our tests. We weren't able to push it live for testing before it got auto deployed. When it went live, we found that if you didn't have a certain setting turned on, it was throwing an error. I was out hiking and got a call and text message from Cory. I joined the Zoom meeting once I got home.
Wayne and Bryan were on the Zoom meeting with Cory and Shari O. We got the error fixed and made some adjustments to the code. While Wayne was re-deploying code on all of the servers. I was able to get my VPN stuff setup so that I could push code directly to the servers. That ability and connection was down for a couple of days (on my side - just not being able to connect directly to the servers). Anyways, we got it all resolved.
Once things calmed down (servers were getting fixed), I was able to talk to Wayne and do some catching up. We haven't spoken for a few months due to who is on what meeting. That was good and he was explaining his wants and needs (as a system administrator). Some of what he does we don't fully understand and/or know. Our conversation ended up flowing into the start of the server meeting. I think that he needed to talk. That was good.
|Shop 10527||Working on the scan cart||9/18/2023||
Working on the mini scan cart. Adding some new options for layouts, settings, and working with forms and placeholders. Small work session. Pushed up code to repository. Making progress.